Proposals for Junior or Senior Recitals in Skinner Hall
The music department faculty consider all proposals for student recitals given in the building.
Deadline Thursday, April 12, 2018, 5:00pm
Late proposals will not be accepted.
The Recital Hall or Thekla Hall may be approved for senior recitals.
Thekla Hall is available for approved Junior recitals.
Faculty will review completed recital proposals in the order they were submitted. Recital dates will then be offered on first-come, first-served basis, based on the order in which they were approved.
Prerequisites for a Junior or Senior Recital
- Applicants for a student recital, whether junior or senior, must at the time of application have completed or be in the act of completing a minimum of four semesters of applied music study at Vassar.
- To apply for a junior or senior recital, students must already have completed their corequisite courses in music.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing. (See “Academic Requirements” below.)
To Apply for a Junior or Senior Recital
All materials must be submitted electronically. Apply with the online form below and have recommendors send letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Letters of Recommendation
- A letter of recommendation from the student’s private instructor that addresses the student’s ability to prepare a junior/senior recital.
- A letter of recommendation from the student’s major advisor that addresses the student’s academic standing and ability to prepare a junior/senior recital.
- In case of any outstanding concerns about a student's academic or applied music performance, the recital application may be provisionally approved, or not approved outright by the music faculty.
- If the student has other burdensome duties (such as an overabundance of extracurricular activities) that might prevent the successful execution of the recital, the recital application may be provisionally approved or not approved outright by the music faculty.
- If provisional approval is granted, the student's application will be reconsidered by the faculty in the fall semester, and the student may be required to give a jury of a sample of selections from the recital to a group of the faculty. The chair of the department will guide students in this situation.
- Any outstanding academic failures must have been resolved or be in the process of being resolved at the time of application for a music recital. If an academic failure arises after the recital has been approved, the department will confer with the major advisor, private instructor, and dean of studies to determine whether or not the recital may go forward.
- Deadline for junior and senior recital proposals: Thursday April 12, 2018, 5:00pm