Go to navigation (press enter key)Menu

Facilities

Belle Skinner Hall of Music

The Music Department resides in the Belle Skinner Hall of Music, a beautiful neo-Gothic building that opened in 1932. At the heart of the building are the Mary Anna Fox Martel Recital Hall and one of the finest college music libraries in the country. There are also several classrooms, including Thekla Hall (a small recital hall), an Electronic Music Studio, and 21 practice rooms, nearly all furnished with grand pianos. Vassar maintains a large collection of instruments, including over 65 Steinway grand pianos, seven pipe organs, six harpsichords, the Darlington Collection of early keyboard instruments, and a miscellany of non-Western instruments.

Music Library

The George Sherman Dickinson Library is one of the largest and finest collections of music, sound recordings, and books about music possessed by any college in the United States. Its holdings include some 30,000 scores, 30,000 sound recordings in various media, and 20,000 books and periodicals. A lending collection of records and CDs is also available to the college community, and the library contains listening facilities.